Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Recipe: Spicy Eggplant Curry

Do you like Indian Food?
Being from India, I absolutely love Indian food. But I prefer home-made since I know how to cook and I also love cooking. Most our Chinese/American friends think that everyday Indian food is what you get in the restaurants......all that very spicy and a bit oily stuff, which tastes good but is too rich. Well the fact is our everyday meals are quite light and healthy,but of course it is a bit spicy:)
Okay that on one side, eating Rich and Spicy Indian dishes in moderation is perfectly okay. Today's recipe is NOT light rather it is Spicy and maybe a little hot too!!

Spicy Eggplant Curry - Indian Style...

Ingredients:
Baby Eggplant: 7-8 Pieces, make two cross slits from base leaving the heads on 
Potatoes: 2 Medium Sized, halved & diced
Onions: 2 Medium, Finely chopped
Ginger Paste: 1 Teaspoon
Garlic Paste: 1 Teaspoon
Tomatoes: 2, pureed
Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp
Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
Salt: To Taste
Canola Oil: 3  Tbsp
Chopped Cilantro: To Garnish

Method:
  • Heat Oil in a pan, add chopped Onions, fry till they are nicely golden brown, cook on medium heat.
  • Add ginger and garlic paste, fry for a few minutes till you get a nice aroma.
  • Take about 1/4 cup water and add all the powders to it, add this to the fried mixture.
  • Reduce the heat and fry it till you see Oil separating.
  • Add the tomato puree and again fry for a few minutes till the tomatoes blend in  nicely.
  • Add the potatoes, eggplants, salt and 1/2 cup water.
  • Cover the pan and cook till eggplants are tender and done.
  • Garnish with Cilantro and Serve hot with flat bread or naan.
ENJOY!!!

5 comments:

  1. It certainly looks delicious! I'm a pretty basic American cook, and not a very good one at that. I came over from All About Blogspot and became your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I wonder if I can get baby eggplants here...
    I've tasted authentic Indian food while I lived in Asia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried Indian food, but this sure sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds and looks good! I really like Indian food, but I've never tried making it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I love Indian food! We don't really know how to make it ourselves, but there are a couple of excellent restaurants close to our house. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to write your Comment/Feedback!